June 11th is National Rosé Day and this week I am featuring two Rosés on the menu plus the wine of week, our 2017 Grenache Syrah Rosé. It is fermented in French Oak barrels for 14 months. This is a delicate, yet vivacious wine with aromas of raspberries and flavors of freshly picked strawberries and blueberries with a hint of mandarin. Its balanced acidity provides a delightful finish. Pairs with a citrus side salad, a tomato and goat cheese quiche or with mixed berry crepes for brunch. Enjoy chilled!
Last week, I was in the mood for an orange sesame dressing on my salad, but I had none and wasn’t in the mood to go anywhere. So, I looked into my pantry to see what I could come up with. I did google a few recipes to see how they created this dressing. I noticed one of them made it with marmalade and since I had marmalade in my fridge I looked to see if it was doable with the ingredients I had. I had most so I made some changes. I am including my marmalade recipe too. Most recipes are triple this, I just reduced it, because it is just me.
Last night, since I still had some dressing left, I made a quinoa salad with blueberries, red onion, celery, cashews, chevre and bell pepper and drizzled the dressing and mixed. This was a fabulous salad on a hot summer night. Enjoy with a glass of our newest release the 2017 Grenache Syrah Rosé. I will feature this wine outside at our new bar. Remember, tastings are outside only, and reservations are required. Make your reservation now at https://reyeswinery.com/tastingroom and click on the “pink” reservation link.
Directions for the Marmalade
- Zest of 5 oranges
- 2 cups sugar plus ¼ cup
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 2 cups 2018 Reyes Muscat
Directions for Citrus Marmalade and Sauce
- Zest the oranges
- Place in a 2 ½ qt cast iron pan with 1 cup of 2018 Reyes Muscat and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off flame and add orange flower water to pot. Leave out on stove over night or at least 12 hours or until all liquid is evaporated.
- Then add 1 cup Reyes 2018 Muscat and sugar to same pot.
- Boil until sugar is dissolved, about 5-10 minutes on medium heat. When the mixture becomes frothy, it should be done. You want the carrots and orange zest to be soft.
- Add vanilla and cardamom and stir.
- Pour into hot sterile jars.
- Once cooled, then you can start the dressing portion.
Orange Dressing Ingredients
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey (use a lighter honey, like wildflower. I used blueberry)
- 11 oz can mandarin orange
Mix all ingredients in a blender or a food processor and mix until combined and the mixture becomes creamy, about 30 to 45 seconds.