Mocha Reyes’ Renaissance 2011 Merlot Cupcakes
By Beth P. Heiserman
I created this recipe for August 2013 Ladies Night Out. When we were creating the labels for this new wine; I kept thinking what I could pair and create with this fabulous wine. It has aromas of mocha, plums and a hint of anise. After the wine had time to breathe, I started to get a bouquet of black cherries and cocoa. This was my sweet dish and of course I had a savory to pair; which was my Herb and coffee crusted Tri Tip.
preheat oven to 350
2 ½ cups flour
1 ½ cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup strong coffee (I used cinnamon hazelnut)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup Reyes’ Renaissance 2011 merlot
½ cup cocoa
Chocolate covered espresso beans
1. In mixer, blend eggs, sugar, oil, coffee and Reyes 2011 Merlot wine.
2. Slowly add sifted dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa
3. Even disperse batter into muffin tins
4. Bake 15-20 minutes. Check after 15 to see how much more time.
5. After cupcakes have cooled, frost them and decorate with a chocolate covered espresso bean.