Renaissance 2011 Merlot Tri Tip
By Beth P. Heiserman
One afternoon, when I was putting together a menu for Ladies Night Out, I was trying to pair 2011 Renaissance Merlot with some dishes. It has aromas of mocha and anise. I thought of making red-eye gravy with my meal, but instead I did a Merlot au jus and used the coffee as the rub. Coffee and cayenne are a perfect pair.
3 lbs of tri tip
3 tsp of olive oil
2 cups Renaissance 2011 Merlot
½ cup ground coffee (I used cinnamon hazelnut)
2 tsp garlic, chopped
2 tsp parsley
2 tsp oregano
3 tsp cayenne
1 ½ tsp of kosher salt
2 tsp of seasoned pepper
1. In a dutch oven, heat the pan and add the olive oil.
2. In mixing bowl, combine coffee, cayenne, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
3. Rub the meat all over.
4. Sear the tri tip on both sides.
5. Add Renaissance 2011 Merlot to pan and cook for about 10 minutes.
6. Bake in preheated oven at 300 degrees for 2 hours, covered.
7. Uncover and cook at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.