Yesterday, for the first time I made pretzels and pretzel buns. They came out perfect and they were so delicious. We had hamburgers with the buns. But I was trying to figure out what I should do with the fresh strawberries I bought at the farm on Monday. I was running out of eggs and I wanted to use one for the hamburgers, so I kept thinking what to do. Then it hit me as I starred into the fridge, Strawberry lemon cake! I took a fresh lemon from our tree and I ended up changing my quick bread recipe slightly. Instead of oil and eggs, you can substitute with applesauce or yogurt. I ended up using the Bulgarian yogurt I usually eat for breakfast. So, for dessert, I opened one of our newest wines, 2018 Rosa’s Choice Rosé. I usually take a photo of it before I eat it, but looked so yummy I forgot and we dug in. It was so tasty and who knew…no eggs or oil!
A few months ago, we ran out of one of our most popular wines, 2015 Rosa’s Choice Rosé. Many came into the Tasting Room this month wondering how we ran out, but we did. Hopefully, everyone will love this blend that I made. Well, two weeks ago, we bottled our newest vintage of Rosa’s Choice Rosé. This 2018 wine is a blend of Chardonnay, Muscat, Viognier, Symphony and Syrah has aromas of watermelon, strawberries and peaches for a fruity and scrumptious rosé wine. Enjoy chilled with strawberry cheesecake trifle, grilled chicken with a strawberry red wine balsamic sauce or a watermelon granita topped with mint.
Every week, for the past few years, we have offered the “Wine of Week” in the Tasting Room. Now we are offering this special wine online at a special price. Our website shop is reyes-winery.square.site. For the month of May, the 2018 Rosa’s Choice Rosé will be specially priced.
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup of yogurt, plain
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 6-8 strawberries, sliced
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt, kosher
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose Flour
- ½ cup sliced almonds (optional)
- ¼ cup of powder sugar
- In a mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- In another mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, strawberries, lemon zest, juice of ½ lemon, vanilla paste, yogurt, and sugar.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet. Don’t over mix.
- Add mixture to greased 9×9 baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 35 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix powder sugar and ½ juice of 1 lemon. Set aside.
- Take out of oven and cool for about 15 minutes, then drizzle icing.
- Serve with a chilled glass of 2018 Rosa’s Choice Rosé.